Monday, February 6, 2012

Review: Katana

Katana
by Cole Gibsen
Paperback
384 pages
March 8th 2012 by Flux
ARC from Netgalley

Summary:
Kill Bill meets Buffy in this supernatural samurai tale.

Rileigh Martin would love to believe that adrenaline gave her the uncanny courage and strength to fend off three muggers. But it doesn’t explain her dreams of fifteenth century Japan, the incredible fighting skills she suddenly possesses, or the strange voice giving her battle tips and danger warnings. While worrying that she’s going crazy (always a reputation ruiner), Rileigh gets a visit from Kim, a handsome martial arts instructor, who tells Rileigh she’s harboring the spirit of a five-hundred-year-old samurai warrior.

Relentlessly attacked by ninjas, Rileigh has no choice but to master the katana--a deadly Japanese sword that’s also the key to her past. As the spirit grows stronger and her feelings for Kim intensify, Rileigh is torn between continuing as the girl she’s always been and embracing the warrior inside her. 

Thoughts:
I wanted to like this so much since the concept of a reincarnated female samurai is very interesting and has never been done before but sadly I do not. So since I don't think it's nice to rant so much let me just sum it in very few sentences and pictures. It goes something like this:

I was expecting a female samurai warrior..


Yeah, have you watched the Japanese movie; Azumi? She's so cool.

 
But got a skater chick instead.

With a gay best friend. Okay.. (Love you Kurt!)


Thank god for Kim or reincarnated Yoshido. (This is how I magined him..yes..oozing with hotness). Otherwise I don't think I'm able to finish this. (Huge sigh).


Recommended for: fans of kick-ass heroines who whines a lot
Verdict: 2 stars

In my Debut Author Reading Challenge
Available on: Amazon

12 comments:

  1. Aww. Darn I was hoping I'd like this. But I was hoping for the same thing.
    And I love that you pictured Rain for the guy. But it'd probably be hard for me because in my mind he's strictly Korean. I can usually tell the difference between where Asians are from. That always bothers me in movies. lol.
    But. I may put this very far down on my list & eventually get to it.
    Thanks for the review! :)
    - Shanise @ Camisado Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know..I guess being Asian and all..I was really hoping to love this but sadly it doesn't really meet my expectations. Sorry..I love Rain so much..can't help ogling at his..em..talents. :)Maybe I should put a pic of Takeshi Kaneshiro or Yutaka instead. Any idea who would make a good Yoshido?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the 'whines a lot' part. Maybe I'll give this a miss or at least a rethink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is pretty cool, and it sounds like an interesting idea! Too bad it didn't meet your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything that has to do with Japan and the Katana is one of them and i love the cherry on the cover. So thanks for your opinion.


    I hope you have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your review. I don't know if I want to give this book a chance after seeing the rating you have given it, but I guess I'll just have to think about it. I kinda like the cover though. Very tough looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! Thanks for the review! I'm DEFINATELY not going to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! :) loved your review. I received this book and couldn't finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo whines a lot? No thank you! That's a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed your picture review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sooo jelly! I requested that but got rejected :P Love the review, now I can't wait to get my hands on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing :)

    Now I am unsure about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep seeing this book pop up but Im teetering whether I want to read it or not.

    ReplyDelete