Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review: Become


Become (Desolation, #1)
by Ali Cross
340 pages
Published November 11th 2011

Summary from Goodreads:
Sixteen-year old Desolation Black wants nothing more than to stay in Hell where it’s cold and lonely and totally predictable. Instead, she’s sent back to Earth where she must face the evil she despises and the good she always feared.

When Desi is forced to embrace her inner demon, she assumes her choice has been made—that she has no hope of being anything other than what her father, Lucifer, has created her to be. What she doesn’t count on, is finding a reason to change—something she’s never had before—a friend. 

Thoughts:
I love it when I found that rare Indie book that's way better than their mainstream over-hyped counterpart. And Become is that rare gem. The editing is superb and the font and everything is done professionally that sometimes I don't really realised that I'm  reading a self-published work because I'm always expecting that an Indie book has some errors here and there. But none here.
And the writing yes..Ali Cross is an artist. I love it when she seamlessly change the setting from Hell to Earth. Desolation is indeed a character that I'll root for from the very beginning. She can be vulnerable and frightening at the same time and her friendship with Miri and Lucy is heartwarming.

Dislikes
I would really love it if Ali would have given her readers more background on Desolation/Desi's mother. I mean she is Lucifer's daughter and all but her humane traits were inherited from her dead mother. So who is her mother? We only get a glimpse of her before she died. (Ops..is that a spoiler? Someone please whack me in the head).

Likes
Kudos to Ali for creating characters that we can actually care and not just one dimensional villains and good guys who bore us to death. Even the demon are interesting in this story. A demon with depth. I really like that. And a devil who looks like Hugh Jackman? Oooh swoon..


Recommended for: fans of a darker YA fantasy
Verdict: 4 stars.

In my TBR Pile, Dusty Bookshelf  & Self Published Reading Challenge
Available on: Amazon and Smashwords

5 comments:

  1. This is the first I heard about BECOME. I must say it does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover, I was fascinated, wings colors, all you have left is fascinante.Me intrigued with it that the devil looks like Hugh Jackman. I'm dying to read it.

    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover of this book. I'm a sucker for books with wings in general. The blurb reminds me of Little Nicky with Adam Sandler even though it's doesn't sound like it could be like that. For once, her mother is dead and not Reese Witherspoon. Plus, it's not a comedy and yet it reminds me of it.

    I'm looking forward to reading it. So glad that the demons have depth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coming across gems in the indie world and this looks and sounds like one. Great review, can't wait to get my hands on it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Natasha and Nadia! I'm so sorry I didn't see this review before now (darn Google Alerts! *shakes fist at the computer*). Thank you so much for your kind review!

    ReplyDelete