Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: Darkness Becomes Her


Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters #1)
by Kelly Keaton
Paperback,
273 pages
Published January 3rd 2012
by Simon Pulse (first published February 22nd 2011)

Summary from Goodreads:
With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can't be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is. Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long-dead mother: Run.

Thoughts:
Finally a book with Greek mythology elements that I really enjoyed! Why haven't I heard of this book before? It has all the right ingredients; kick-ass female character, brooding mysterious hero, Southern setting and a host of peculiar and magical freaks. I love them all!

The New Orleans setting brings a dark and sinister air to the story and I think that the colourful characters that inhabited the New 2 makes the story much more compelling. Add in Ari's mysterious past and her quest in finding her birth mother and the surprising revelation behind it. Well the story is just perfect!

I especially love the kids in the House of Misfits. Crank and her gadget prowess, little Violet with her mysterious fangs, Dub the grave digger and of course gorgeous Sebastian; the half-vampire half-witch. Seriously even without the Greek elements the story is so darn good! Even the goddess Athena made an appearance towards the end of the story.

A Beautiful Evil; the second book in the series is already out so don't forget to check that out as well.

Recommended for: fans of Southern paranormals and Greek mythology
Verdict: 5 stars.

In my Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge 
Available on : Amazon

4 comments:

  1. I have no idea why, but I've never really stopped and thought about this book before. It sounds great - I love books set in my home state, as well as mythological remimaginings. Thanks for your review and putting a new book on my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it. Seriously I think the series needs more hype.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of it before. Thanks for this. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A vampire and a witch? I haven't encountered that kind of combo. I'm trying not to think about TVD mythos where vampires were unnatural therefore considered abomination to eyes of witches who are nature guardians or something to that effect. I do like checking out books with Greek elements in it.

    ReplyDelete