There are 10 nominees for each category and readers have to pick the top 3 for Fiction and Non Fiction. Since last year, I've been dilligently following this contest even to the extent of reading, renting and buying some of the nominated books. But ah...I don't really get what Malaysian readers like. Most of the books are boring to say the least. Maybe I just don't get what the majority in Malaysia reads. I guess I'm the minority...huhu.
The nominees for Malay Fiction are: (in no particular order)
1. Lafazkan Kalimah Cintamu - Siti Rosmizah
2. 2 x 5 - Areila Sahimi
3. Cinta Sufi - Ramlee Awang Murshid
4. Cinta 3 Suku - Herna Diana
5. Pergilah Air Mata - Hanni Ramsul
6. Masih Setia - Aisya Sofea
7. Coke and Sundae - Ilya Abdullah
8. Sepupuku Suamiku - Lynn Allyna
9. Saat Kau Kata Cinta - Anis Ayuni
10. Bukan Tak Sudi - Mimi Afinie
I have read book no 4 and 7. 4 is decidedly full of cliches with kampung girl meets handsome rich dude but 7 is quite ok only I think it's targeted more to teens as the language is so simple. Most of the writers here are also nominated last year which means they have quite a following. But..(sigh) Malaysian contemporary literature are too littered with romance..no?