Monday, February 13, 2012

Review: Bewitching


Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles)
by Alex Flinn
Hardcover
336 pages
Expected publication: February 14th 2012
by HarperTeen

Summary from Goodreads:
Kendra Hilferty, the witch who curses Kyle Kingsbury in Beastly, tells about her immortal existence-how she discovered she was a witch and the various ways she has used her powers to help people throughout the centuries. (Unfortunately her attempts have often backfired.) As it turns out, Kendra has actually had a hand in "Hansel and Gretel," "The Princess and the Pea," and "The Little Mermaid"-but these are not the fairy tales you think you know! Kendra's reminiscences are wrapped around a real-time version of "Cinderella," except the "ugly" stepsister is the good guy. With dark twists, hilarious turns, and unexpected endings, Bewitching is a contemporary read for fairy-tale lovers, fantasy fans, and anyone looking for more Alex Flinn.

Thoughts:
Bewitching has bewitched me! I was so surprised to see it in a bookstore because I was not expecting it to be out yet. I'm so glad that we get to know more of the sassy witch that turned Kyle into a beast in Beastly.  Kendra has quite the lonely existence. She lost her family through the Black Plague and discovered her powers when she was nearly baked by another witch!

Likes
Apparently Kendra had a hand in some of the well known fairy tales. She has very good intention but some things just do not go according to plan.The Princess and the Pea part about Prince Louis of France is simply hilarious! It gives a whole new meaning to the term 'helicopter mother'. I never knew such term existed before. I really love how Alex Flinn is able to give a funny twist to the fairy tale.

Dislikes
I wished there were more stories about Kendra instead of focussing so much on the story of  Emma and Lisette. But Emma the supposedly ugly stepsister grew on me and I was rooting for her by the end of the story.

This is definitely one of my favourite reads. And because it is a stand alone, I liked it even more. I'm getting pretty tired of reading a series. 

Recommended for: fans of YA fantasy & fairy tale retellings
Verdict: 5 stars.

In my Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon

9 comments:

  1. BEWITCHING does look good & I TOTALLY agree about series. I actively seek out stand alones now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all of Alex Flinn's books are stand alones. Go check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover, with the contrasts that have.
    Thanks for your opinion: D

    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything by Alex Flinn is absolutely bewitching. I cannot wait to read this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I haven't read anything by her. I'll definitely pick this one up and maybe read Beastly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is on sale for Kindle this month, I should definitely pick it up!

    celjla212 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Will put this on my to-read list :D- TheUnseelieNerd

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it can live up to how good Beastly is, I'm adding it to my tbr :) Here's my book of the month!

    ReplyDelete