Monday, April 23, 2012

Review: Spectral

Spectral
by Shannon Duffy
ebook
Published April 10th 2012
by Tribute Books

Summary from Goodreads:
Convinced she’s a part of the witness protection program, sixteen-year-old Jewel Rose is shuffled around the globe with her family like a pack of traveling gypsies. After arriving at lucky home twenty-seven, she stumbles upon a mysterious boy with magical powers claiming to be her guardian . . . and warning of imminent danger. Despite the obvious sparks between them, Jewel discovers a relationship is forbidden, and the more she learns about dark, brooding Roman, she begins to question who she can even believe—the family who raised her, or the supposed sworn protector who claims they’ve been lying to her all along. 

As she struggles to uncover who her family has really been running from, she is forced to hide her birthmark that reveals who she is. With new realities surfacing, unexplained powers appearing, and two tempting boys vying for her heart, Jewel battles to learn who she can trust in an ever growing sea of lies, hoping she’ll make it through her seventeenth birthday alive.


Thoughts:
Honestly, when I first read the blurb of this book I was expecting the same cliché YA paranormal romance where a girl moves to a new school, meets a mysterious boy and then fall in love. But the book unexpectedly surprised me in a good way! Apparently it's about witches! And being a fan of witches, I devoured this book whole heartedly.

Likes
There are so many unexpected twists in the story and I'm trying very hard not to include spoilers in this review. Needless to say Jewel got the shock of her life when she discovered that apparently everyone has been lying to her all her life. Everyone except her little brother; Jayden. Even her sweet Grandma Raine is not what she seems. And since I loved books that set in far flung places, I really enjoyed this one. The pace might be slow in the first few chapters but after that the setting picks up nicely and we get to follow Jewel's adventures to Russia and Italy.

Dislikes
Ugh! The book would have been perfect if not for the numbing instant love. I don't get how Roman and Jewel are so attracted to each other eventhough they just met. Seriously, is it necessary to throw a love triangle into the mix? I feel so bad about Chase; the hunky jock who obviously had it bad for Jewel not realising what or who she is.

Overall I love the book because it exceeds my expectation somewhat.

Recommended for: fans of witches
Verdict: 4 stars.

In my Debut Author, Self- Published and Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge 


Currently the book is free on OnlyIndie but hurry! Copies are limited.

2 comments:

  1. It seems you're not too keen on the love triangles. Sometimes they're just necessary, and sometimes they're just annoying. I'm not a fan of witches, so I probably wouldn't read this, but do like the cover (butterfly!).

    Btw, Primrose, I had to change my blog url. It's here now: reinalaaman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love witches, but I don't like love triangles.

    ReplyDelete