Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: The Calling



The Calling (Darkness Rising #2)
by Kelley Armstrong
ebook
336 pages
Published April 10th 2012
by HarperCollins

Summary from Goodreads:


Maya Delaney's paw-print birthmark is the mark of what she truly is--a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly everyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it's only a matter of time before she's able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents. 
Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they're kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home.


Thoughts:
I am so in love with this series! I've read the first book; The Gathering last year and although it did not blew me away, I was generally curious to how it will turned out in the next book. And yes thank god I picked it up because it's just so amazing! I finished it in one night. The non-stop, heart-pounding action right from the very first page just left me literally breathless. All that flying, climbing and running from mysterious evil forces gripped me to the edge of my seat. Apart from Divergent and The Hunger Games, I think this is the most action filled YA book I've ever read.

Likes
I love how unpredictable this book turned out to be. Just when you thought Maya and her friends are safe after being rescued by a helicopter then it crashed. And after that I think the writer kept on throwing all this obstacles and surprising twists and turns at the kids every step of the way. Now the kids have to rely on themselves and their abilities to survive since there's no one else they can trust. There are so many layers to the whole story and I feel as if I'm only half way through discovering the intricacies of the plotline.
Maya as the main character reminds me a lot of Katniss. It's hard for me not to draw comparison between these two characters because both of them have the same qualities. Both girls are strong, smart and well-equipped to withstand the harsh elements of being stuck in a forest while at the same time have that distinct vulnerability that makes them endearing to readers.

Dislikes
For some reason, I'm not quite feeling the romance between Maya and Rafe. I know they are destined to be with each other due to the fact that they are both skin walkers but I just feel that Daniel has more chemistry with her.


Recommended for: fans of urban fantasy & kick-ass chicks
Verdict: 5 stars.

In my Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I'm on the look out for my next book to read, so thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I loved Kelley's Darkest Powers series. Now I just need to get on board with this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe I have never heard of Skin Walkers before?

    ReplyDelete