Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review: Incarnate


Incarnate (Newsoul #1)
by Jodi Meadows
Hardcover
374 pages
Published January 31st 2012
by Katherine Tegen Books

Summary from Goodreads:

New soul 
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why. 

No soul 
Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame? 

Heart 
Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies--human and creature alike--let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all? 

Thoughts:
Incarnate is a beautiful, enchanting tale about one girl's journey to find herself. Ana who lives in a world where souls are reincarnated over and over again, find herself isolated and alone when she's the first new soul to be born. Neglected and ignored by her own mother, Ana left her home to the city of Heart where she hopes to find the truth about herself.

Likes
Incarnate took me back to those days when I first read fantasy books. It's imaginative storyline just drew a spell on me. I love how the author creates the fantastical world where Ana lives. Seriously, after reading too much depressing end of the world scenarios, it's nice to loose myself in something that is so beautiful and once in a while.

Dislikes
The pacing is very slow so I do understand how some people got turned off from the book. But I think the author is simply building the momentum for the big reveal. Unfortunately, I think the book could serve as a stand alone as I don't see anything more to be developed as a series.

Recommended for: fans of high fantasy
Verdict: 4 stars.

In my Debut Author Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree, i loved the world building but thought that the pace was slow, still I loved this title so much! plus the cover is absolutely breathtaking and totally gives off the vibe of this book :) Great review

    Jade @ Ink Scratchers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this novel, it wasn't fast paced, but I wanted more detail and have millions of questions for book two. Love the cover :) wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may wait for the entire series to come out & then go on a reading blitz.

    I do think I will enjoy the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. I think it's in my to buy pile and if it isn't it needs to be there!

    Rebecca @ Vicariously!

    ReplyDelete