Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: League of Strays


League of Strays
by L.B. Schulman
Published October 1st 2012
by Amulet
ARC from Netgalley
Summary from Goodreads:
This suspenseful debut follows a group of teenage misfits in their delicious quest for revenge on those who have wronged them at their high school. When a mysterious note appears in Charlotte’s mailbox inviting her to join the League of Strays, she’s hopeful it will lead to making friends. What she discovers is a motley crew of loners and an alluring, manipulative ringleader named Kade. Kade convinces the group that they need one another both for friendship and to get back at the classmates and teachers who have betrayed them. But Kade has a bigger agenda. In addition to vandalizing their school and causing fights between other students, Kade’s real intention is a dangerous plot that will threaten lives and force Charlotte to choose between her loyalty to the League and her own conscience.

Thoughts:
I was not aware of the controversy surrounding the book when I first requested it on Netgalley. I was expecting some delicious thriller about revenge but what I got instead is a whole lot of teenage angst.

Getting back on those who have wronged you in the past seemed like an interesting idea but in reality I would not stoop to the same things that these characters did just to get revenge. The clash of different personalities in the League piqued my interest in the beginning but halfway through I just lost interest in the story and was seriously turned off by the psychotic Kade. And although I understood Charlotte's predicament of being a wallflower, I just don't think it condone her actions.

I know this is fiction, but I'm seriously disturbed by the story. Bullying is a serious problem, so I'm just worried that the book will give certain ideas to teens on how to cope with bullies.

Verdict: 2 stars.
In my Debut Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment