Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: Switched


Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1)
by Amanda Hocking
Paperback
318 pages
Published January 3rd 2012
by St. Martin's Griffin

Summary from Goodreads:
When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit. But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.

Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…

Thoughts:
I've always wanted to read this book since the mixed reviews found in Goodreads made me generally curious. Add to the fact that the author is rumoured to received a multi-million deal to get her book published so I was all eager to find out how great the book is.

Now I hardly ever write a negative review and I really tried to like the book but it reminds me a lot of Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series. Except in this book, the MC is actually a changeling. A troll child who was switched with a human baby at birth.The magical world of Forening where the trolls live is actually in Minnesota, along the Mississippi River.

I'm kind of disappointed to find that the trolls are not really nice eventhough they have magical powers of their own. And Wendy's real mother who turned out to be the queen is the worst of the lot. She's cold and calculating and she reminds me a lot of the evil witch in Snow White.

The story has so much potential but sadly it got bogged down by the usual clichés and one-dimensional characters that I found very annoying. I would love to find out how Wendy turned out in the end but I'm just not really sure I have the patience to read the other books in the story. Wendy is not all bad but I just can't stand Finn. I have never met a hero that is so bland.

Recommended for: fans of the Iron Fey series
Verdict: 2 stars.
Available on: Amazon

3 comments:

  1. I've seen her books everywhere, and the covers are awesome. Your review definitely makes me skeptical, because I pretty much loathe the Iron Fey books. SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read the first book in the Iron Fey series so I think I'd better read the rest. But the trolls in Amanda Hocking's series are well not what I'd hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame the story does not live up to the gorgeous cover.

    ReplyDelete