Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Team Human

Team Human
by Justine Larbalestier, Sarah Rees Brennan
Published July 3rd 2012
by HarperTeen
Summary from Goodreads:
Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity

On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.

Thoughts:
When I found out that this book is a parody of sorts to a certain vampire romance, I was immediately intrigued. It sure is funny as hell and I was surprised as to how much I grew to like it.

I feel so happy that there's finally some authors out there that know how to create a vampire romance without the usual love triangle, clichés and sappy heroines. Although there's instances of instant love, the romance between Cathy and Francis took some time to blossom.

For me the main draw of the book is certainly Mel. She's sassy, sarcastic, and a very loyal friend to Cathy and Anna. And I just love that she's also Asian. Although Mel tends to stick her nose in her friends' affairs, I do think she has the best intention. Her dialogues are so funny and I must say among all of the characters, she has the best lines. Mel is constantly in a dilemma over her friends. Cathy who seemed eager to leave everything behind for the vampire Francis and Anna who hated vampires for what they did to her family.

It's hard for me to describe the book without giving away some major spoilers, but let me just say the story has it's surprising and touching moments especially concerning Anna's search for her dad who everyone assumed had run off with a beautiful vampire. And although Cathy's relationship with Francis feature prominently in the book, Mel's growing attraction to Kit (a human boy raised by Francis family) is rather sweet.

I'm not sure whether this will turn out to be a series, but as a stand alone it really put a smile on my face. I love it!

Verdict: 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment