Tuesday, May 3, 2011

of books and book fair



I have been a frequent visitor of the KLIBF since I was in primary school and this is largely due to my father who instills in his children with a deep love for books. He used to drive us all to PWTC amidst the jam and whatnot every year so that we can immersed ourselves with new books. We will be given 100 ringgit each and a few hours to roam freely and buy our own books. It was heaven!



And now as I grew up I still anticipate the book fair every year and came home with a truckload of books. Last year after dragging my reluctant hubby and baby, I decided to fly solo this year. I could have gone every day as I'm not working this year but I'm on a tight budget so most of the books I've bought are more on the academic types..yawn. Fortunately I managed to grab a new novel by my fav novelist Nurul Syahida.


Valentina Nervosa



Mariyyah a wedding card entrepreneur, who was dumped by her high school sweetheart on V-Day became a VD phobic since then much to the chagrin of her friends and co-workers. After having gone through several unexpected twists and turns, Mariyyah later on discovers that she is indeed strong enough to get over her broken heart and move on with her life. Girl power!



The cover is somewhat confusing and the book is slightly moodier compared to Aku Kan Novelis. But I love that the author is trying to convey a message to its readers that women need to buck up and rather than depend on others to help you, in the end only you can help yourself. Girl power! It's so ironic that eventhough she hates VDay Mariyyah is a wedding card designer and is also forced to help her friend to sell chocolate dripped strawberry on VDay. It was stated that the book is actually based on the writer's friend's experience. (Sheesh..my grammar is terrible).

No comments:

Post a Comment