Thursday, March 10, 2011

Desperate housewives part 1 ..of baking, cooking, mothering n etc

Originally i planned an entry about my all-time favourite romantic comedies or my all-time favourite 80's movies but yesterday's entry made my thoughts wander all the way to my mum..particularly her cooking hehe. My mum quit her job to raise the 4 of us (meaning my sis,my bro,me and my younger bro) and I've only grown to really appreciate her sacrifice these past few years when I have a kid of my own and suddenly starting this year (by choice n temporarily) stuck in the house most of the time with nothing to do. I mean there's lots to do but not with a 2 year old in tow..haha. Don't get me wrong, I mean I lurve...my son but sometimes..(big sigh) he's such a brat. Doing household chores is a bore for someone who's used to the fast-paced world of the office and housewife is the toughest job in the world since u will not get paid, no leave and you are expected to work 24 hours cleaning, cooking n doing unimaginable stuff for ur family..ah..After 3 months I'm already bored out of my wits, I can't imagine my mum doing this for something like 30 years n still going strong..wasn't she bored? My mum confessed that she is not a good cook when she first got married (so there's still hope for the rest of us,eh?) but that is really quite hard to believe.

I mean she made the best chicken curry and her gulai ketam is to die for! I'm talking about big fat crabs stuffed in the pot with coconut milk..nyum nyum nyum. I just have this weakness with any dish saturated with santan, masak lemak kubis, gulai pucuk paku, gulai lemak cili api.. anything to do with santan is fine by me. Miss Wanie complained that all I ever cook while living together with her (during my carefree single years) is something along those lines..Well u see it's my mum's cooking influence, the 4 of us r raised with that kind of food so it came as a shock when my hubby ask for something like asam pedas. We hardly ever eat that dish and I've never cook it before, so can u imagine the disaster it will be? Oooh I prefer frying and grilling them..ikan cencaru sumbat anyone?

But I think my mum's talent really shines in baking. She's good with pastries and even sells her kek lapis rempah which is really torturous to make. All day baking layers after layers of cake..ah..such a torture!


With obviously lots of time in my hand..I've tried baking stuff just for the fun of it. Simple stuff like cupcakes n muffins which my lil tyke can get his hands on..he's my faithful taster n I'm so touched whenever he eats my experiments..which sometimes did not turn out well..oops. My hubby is a picky eater being a chef n all, most of the time he would just take a glance at my cooking without even tasting or eating it. When I first got married his pickiness really annoys me but now I just cook what I like to cook n eat so I don't get starved or just drive through the nearest McD hoho..(I'm a lazy mum). Here he is cooking gulai ikan patin in the middle of the night n forcing moi to learn how to cook it. If u see closely my lil tyke is behind him crying his eyes out coz he wants to play with his daddy. I mean cooking is hard enough..and with a 2 year old breathing down ur neck..aiyayaiyai. So please excuse me if I don't cook every day like my mum used to do. I mean she's the best. She's supermom just like my Mak Andak I guess..I will just settle with baking muffins once in a while..maybe almond, or pecan (which I have a lot of since last year..oops) or maybe even carrot or mango which is freezing in my fridge right now..hmm..decisions..decisions and if I ever get fat I'll just exercise on my kinetic OTO bike. Mind you I am getting fat..hahaha





No comments:

Post a Comment