Monday, March 30, 2020

Diversity in YA Books


I love the fact that there are more and more YA books with a non-white main character in the market right now. For years, I was raised with a steady diet of blonde, blue-eyed characters that sometimes seemed unrelatable for people of color like me. I think it's refreshing to see books featuring a non-white girl on the cover not just because I'm Asian but there are stories to be told from a different point of view.


These are some of the books that I've read so far that represent such diverse characters. What are your favorites? Any recommended YA book with diverse characters? 


I do wish that there are more coloured protagonist in YA fantasy. For now, there seemed an abundance of African/Korean/Chinese/Indian American main characters in YA contemporary but not in fantasy. So writers/publishers out there, listen up! We need more diversity in YA fantasy, ok! 

No comments:

Post a Comment